Friday, June 25, 2004

"I am English, and as such, I crave disappointment"

The title of the post is, of course, a quote from Bill Bailey, but I think it holds a certain relevance today. Losing on penalties is always grating, but what really rattles my cage is that I ever thought it could be different. Before the tournament, I was asked by someone how I thought we'd do, and I said "we'll start slow, then win impressively, thus massively hyping up expecations, and then we'll go out in the quarters or the semis, probably on penalties, probably to Germany." Nearly right!

Ah, England, you do let us down so. Even I was convinced it might be our year. I'll leave the detailed post mortem to others, but suffice to say - we was robbed, but we sort of deserved to be...

It's a good job it's only football, and not something that actually matters... : )