Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Blair, Europe, etc

So, no reverse gear, but a nifty line in constitutional U-Turns. We're gonna have a referendum on one of the most complicated documents in the history of international politics. Sounds like a good idea to me. No, but seriously folks, I'm pleased in a way - he's finally grabbing the bull by the horns and having a go at persuading what could broadly described as the right of the benefits of an apparently unpopular policy. You go Tony... Chris Patten said some interesting stuff on five live this afternoon about how bady let down those political opponents of Blair who'd stood with him on the Euro felt by his apparent abandoning of it and how he would want to be very sure of the Blair position before standing on a platform with him. Now, there is obviously some doubt about how much of a loss this is to the yes camp, but I found the way it hinted at frustrations amongst the pro-European tories interesting... They must have a lot to be frustrated about as it is, mind...

Anyway, I don't really understand the whole thing - anyone want to explain it to me so I don't have to go so far as to actually read stuff?