Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Stars

Currently Listening to: Because, by The Beatles

The stars are out over Hamstead tonight. It's beautiful actually...I'm completely crazy for stars - love 'em to bits - when I lived in Africa, and then again in Aber I rarely took the time to appreciate them - it's like the song says, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. I do remember lying on my back in fields watching shooting stars at university fairly often. I also remember when my Dad came to visit us when we lived in Zimbabwe, the stars blew him away. We had gone to dinner at my friend Nyasha's family home. On the way back we realised it was the first night of winter, as we could see our breath for the first time that year. Dad stopped to lie on his back and look up at African skies...'tis fair burned on the old brain that...

Been to QE hospital today, where my mum is recovering from an operation to remove some polyps. Hospitals are really not nice at all. I tried to do some meditations there to put some good vibes in the air, because there's a tangible heaviness in the air. I read something somewhere about endemic mental illness in nation health staff and I'm really not surprised - it's gotta be incredibly tough to be in there day in day out. I'm always shocked by how poor patient care is - people really do get treated as part of a factory line. The need for cultural change is clear - once again I propose no solutions! Just maybe that prevention should be the raison d'etre of the NHS....

Beatles has finished - listening to LTJ Bukem's "Music" - I think it might be an Oakenfold mix, but whatever, it's an astounding piece of work. Haven't done the cv I need to do for application for funding - I'll keep you all posted!